In the News
Research, Exhibits, Lectures, & Seminars
Find us on Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, and YouTube
(To read press releases from early 2009 and before, you will need Adobe Reader. Download Adobe Reader here.)
- 2/28/14 Technology helps MAU students tour Harvard museum, from classroom, Bennington Banner
- 2/24/14 Boston’s Best Museum Exhibits This Spring, CBS Boston
- 10/29/13 An ancient tribe, and change, Harvard Gazette
- 10/27/13 Five things to do in and around Boston: Dia de los Muertos, Boston Globe
- 10/9/13 Locals unearth the wonders of archaeology at Harvard, Cambridge Chronicle
- 9/19/13 Unraveling Maya mysteries, Harvard Gazette
- 5/19/13 Photographer documents the vanishing culture of Papua New Guinea, MetroWest Daily News
- 5/15/13 Capturing contrast, Harvard Gazette
- 5/13/13 Artist frames the face of transition, The Australian
- 5/12/13 A distant island seen without the distance, Boston Globe
- 5/9/13 Pages out of Time, Harvard Gazette
- 4/25/13 The Problem with Predictions, Harvard Gazette
- 4/12/13 The Power of Dreams, Harvard Gazette
- 1/24/13 Zooarchaeology Lab: Homing in on Bones, Harvard Gazette
- 1/23/13 Cambridge Students Learn How to Examine Animal Bones, Cambridge Chronicle/Wicked Local
- 12/12/12 Peabody Leader Goes to Harvard, Yale Daily News
- 12/4/12 A Director for Museums of Science and Culture, Harvard Gazette
- 7/3/12 Images from long ago or far away (From Daguerreotype to Digital exhibition), Harvard Gazette
- 4/27/12 Man Food: Learning About "Man, Food, Fire" at Harvard, Boston Magazine
- 4/27/12 Barbecue's Beginnings, Harvard Gazette
- 4/23/12 How to Organize Chaos, Harvard Gazette
- 4/22/12 At Peabody Museum, youngsters recycle trash into artwork, Boston Globe
- 4/10/12 Dr. Loco y ZUMIX (video), LasParceritas
- 4/10/12 Dr. Loco y ZUMIX (video), BostonMAS-TV
- 4/8/12 Alutiiq Warrior's Kayak (video), Metrowest Daily News
- 4/8/12 The last kayak: 1860 Alutiiq boat hold clues to an Alaskan culture, Metrowest Daily News
- 3/27/12 Objects of Desire, The Crimson
- 3/10/12 Kayak offers gateway to vanishing culture, Boston Globe
- 3/10/12 Conserving a Warrior Kayak (video), Boston Globe
- 3/6/12 Alutiiq Warrior Kayak Restoration in Planning Stage, KMXT public radio
- 1/30/12 No time to waste: Some progress but room for improvement as University aims high in recycling efforts, Harvard Gazette
- 1/26/12 Picks of the Day: Stuff by the Yard lecture, Boston Globe
- 12/5/11 Scaling a mountain of trash: Professor notes successes, failures in U.S. waste disposal, Harvard Gazette
- 11/30/11 Things to Do: Plastics, Putrefaction, and Power Talk, Boston Globe
- 11/28/11 To Do List: Shooting for Peace, Boston Globe
- 11/22/11 From marsh to Yard: Diggers uncover centuries-old stone drainage ditch, Harvard Gazette
- 11/14/11 Egyptian Pyramid Schemes: Gen Ed Course Pushes the Boundaries of Teaching and Learning, Harvard Alumni Magazine
- November/December 2011 Adapting to Conquest, Archaeology Magazine
- 10/19/11'Day Of The Dead' Expanding In U.S., Huffington Post
- 10/7/11 Peabody Director Talks Trash, Harvard Crimson
- 10/4/11Trash or treasure? Sifting through ancient rubbish for archaeological gold, CNN.com
- 9/28/11 Taking a Stand, Haaretz.com
- 9/24/11 National Museum Day, Examiner.com
- 9/23/11 The Return to Recycling, Harvard Gazette
- 9/22/11 To Do List: Pick of the Day Trash Talk, Boston Globe
- 9/14/11 To Do List: Pick of the Day That's Rubbish, Boston Globe
- 8/19/11 Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology Wins $150,000 Grant for Archaeological Collection, Art News Daily
- 8/3/2011 Digging in the Yard: It's Child's Play, Harvard Gazette
- 7/24/11 "Native Life in the Americas" at Harvard's Tozzer Library has spirit, Brockton Enterprise
- 6/30/11 They dig the past, Harvard Gazette
- 5/4/11 Pick of the Day: Native life, Boston Globe
- 5/2/11 Israeli Photographer Wins $50k Robert Gardner Fellowship for 2011, PDNPulse
- 5/2/11 Peabody Museum Names Miki Kratsman as the 2011 Robert Gardner Fellow in Photography, Art News Daily
- 4/17/11 30 Perks of Living in a College Town, Boston Globe
- 3/21/11 Take a journey of the mind with Singh exhibit, MetroWest Daily News
- 3/6/11Dayanita Singh’s images ask the viewer to write their captions, Boston Globe
- 3/3/11 A lifelong love of African art, Harvard Gazette
- 2/2/11 Harvard Exhibit Moves ‘Tangible Things’ Out Of Place, WBUR-FM
- 1/28/11 Mexico: Ancient Wisdom Examined, Harvard Gazette Multimedia
- 1/27/11 Hide and seek: new exhibit puts things in their places, and also outside them, Harvard Gazette
- 1/15/11 "Common Artifacts, Uncommon Impact" Boston Globe review
- 12/18/10 Treasure: Good Dogs, Harvard Magazine
- 12/15/10 Lost Language, Nights (Radio New Zealand)
- 12/7/10 Diaspora Sufism, (video), UrduvoaNews
- 11/4/10 ‘Murals of the Americas’ opens a window onto ancient civilizations, Metrowest Daily News
- 11/11/10 Dig This, Boston Globe
- 11/1/10 Dearly Departed, Boston Globe
- 10/11/10 Peru Language Found, As It Happens (CBC radio) [Click the third link, Part Two]
- 10/11/10 Dig this, Boston Globe
- 10/5/10 Lectures Trace Development of Writing, Harvard Crimson
- 9/30/10 Archaeologists dig up 400-year-old letter, find a lost language, Digital Journal
- 9/24/10 Lost language unearthed in a letter found in Peru, Reuters
- 9/21/10 The Crimson's Roving Reporter visits the Peabody's chocolate exhibition, Harvard Crimson
- 9/20/10 Language made visible: Researchers celebrate writing’s ‘diverse oneness’, Harvard Gazette
- 8/27/10 "Lost" Language Found on Back of 400-Year-Old Letter, National Geographic
- 8/24/10 A glimpse of lost language: Unearthed 400-year-old document shows how Peruvian natives used numbers, Harvard Gazette
- 7/24/10 Spying on the Past finds art high in the sky, Boston Globe
- 5/12/10 Harvard's Peabody Museum Press wins award, Cambridge Chronicle
- 4/29/10 Getting a bird’s-eye view of the past: Archaeological work using satellite photos featured in Peabody exhibit, Harvard Gazette
- 4/29/10 Building on tradition: Harvard students build a traditional wetu using poles and bark, Harvard Gazette
- 3/28/10 A very different kind of western: Following the final sheep drive in Montana, Boston Globe
- News: As the pace of globalization quickens, Harvard embraces the world as its classroom, Harvard Gazette
- News:Cowboy’s tale: Documentary ‘Sweetgrass’ depicts Montana sheep herders, Harvard Gazette
- 3/12/10 An earlier changing climate: humans had to adapt in ancient warming world, Harvard Gazette
- News: National Treasures: Enlivening exhibits of Native American art at the Peabody, Harvard Crimson
- A new book takes on the task of making ancient Sufi traditions relevant to current debates about Islamic identity, Time Out Bengaluru
- 1/11/10 Defining Themselves: Two 19th century daguerreotypes allowed African Americans to show their lives as they were, Harvard Gazette.
- 12/16/09 Indian College Found?, Harvard Gazette. Archaeologists believe they've located a foundation trench.
- 12/8/09 Digging Veritas: The Find, Harvard Gazette video. Results of the 2009 archaeological dig in Harvard Yard.
- 12/8/09 Review "Much Ado about Nothing: 2012 and the Maya" talk, Boston Phoenix blog
- 11/19/09 Download: "Much Ado About Nothing: 2012 and the Maya"
- 11/14/09 Lesley Ellis Digs Harvard Peabody Museum, Arlington Advocate. School visits Harvard Yard Archaeology Open House.
- 11/12/09 Editor's Pick: 11/19/09 Lecture: Much Ado about Nothing: 2012 and the Maya, Boston Phoenix
- 11/5/09 Treasures Unearthed: Pencil, Musket Ball Found During Yard Excavation, Harvard Gazette
- 10/30/09 Día de los Muertos: una celebración para reírse de la muerte y festejar la vida, El Planeta
- 10/30/09 Middle Ground: Aiming to Educate a Western Viewer, Islamic Art on Campus Balances Social and Aesthetic Value, Harvard Crimson
- 10/15/09 Islam's Mystical Dimensions Take Flight, Harvard Gazette. Preview of the exhibition Sacred Spaces: Reflections on a Sufi Path.
- 10/1/09 Expanding the Canon (Second Life and iPhone apps in Harvard Yard dig), Campus Technology
- 9/10/09 Digging Up Dirt on Veritas History, Harvard Crimson
- 8/17/09 Critics' Pick: Guy Tillim Exhibition, artforum.com
- 8/3/09 Harvard Yard Excavation Results, The Boston Globe. Summer archaeological dig open to the public with findings on display.
- 5/5/09 Guy Tillim exhibit shares scenes of stillness and gentleness amid decay, The Boston Globe.
- 4/12/09 Seeing the West Through Lakota Eyes, MetroWest Daily News. A review of Wiyohpiyata: Lakota Images of the Contested West exhibition.
- 3/25/09 Epochalypse soon: The end is nigh! Or not, Boston Phoenix. Peabody Museum's Marc Zender on the Maya and 2012.
- 3/20/09 Not on Exhibit, Harvard Crimson. An audio slideshow featuring Peabody objects not currently on display.
- 3/19/09 Drawing From History: Exhibit Evokes Lakota Cosmology, Harvard Gazette. A preview of Wiyohpiyata: Lakota Images of the Contested West exhibition.
- 3/19/09 Preserving Rare Daguerreotypes, Harvard Gazette. The Peabody Museum works with Harvard’s Weissman Preservation Center to treat and preserve rare daguerreotypes for future generations.
- 3/13/09 Night at the Museum: Harvard Faculty Get Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Peabody Museum, Harvard Gazette. Harvard faculty find out how to integrate Peabody Museum objects and expertise into their classes.
- 3/8/09 Images of the Lakota, Bismarck Tribune. Tribal arts teacher becomes a co-curator for new exhibition.
- 3/5/2009 Vivid Images, Stern Warnings Mark Ice Age ‘Rock’ Star’s Talk, Harvard Gazette. "Rock" star Paul Bahn talks about Ice Age rock art.
- 2/19/09 Messages from the Ice Age, MetroWest Daily News. New discoveries in Ice Age rock art.
- 11/20/08 Hoja de Laurel de Oro Awarded to Museum Director and Director of Corpus of Maya Hieroglyphic Inscriptions, Peabody Museum. Honduras gives a prestigious lifetime award to William and Barbara Fash for thirty years of preserving and documenting Honduras’ cultural heritage. Press Release
- 11/13/08 Peabody Museum Hosts Harvard Relics, Harvard Crimson. The Peabody opens a new exhibit of colonial archaeological artifacts discovered in Harvard Yard by Harvard students.
- 11/13/08 Harvard’s Roots: From Dirt to Display Case, Harvard Gazette. “Digging Veritas: The Archaeology and History of the Indian College and Student Life at Colonial Harvard” opened Nov. 10, 2008.
- 11/2/08 Peabody Museum Hosts Annual Two-Part Día de los Muertos Celebration, Harvard Crimson. The Museum offers a Day of the Dead Family Event, followed by a free Day of the Dead Fiesta with live mariachi music.
- 10/16/08 Reading Human History in the Bones of Animals, Harvard Gazette. The Zooarchaeology Lab at the Peabody Museum trains archaeologists in the study of animal bones.
- 10/5/08 Native Art Comes to Campus, Harvard Crimson. Irma Bailey’s Native American Arts & Crafts Show and Sale comes to the Peabody Museum.
- 10/3/08 Shopping Tip of the Day: Southwestern Exposure, Boston Globe. The Boston Globe recommends Irma Bailey’s Native American Arts & Crafts Show and Sale.
- 8/21/08 Digging Up Aquinnah History, Martha’s Vineyard Times. Harvard students and Peabody Museum staff research links to Harvard’s Indian College with members of the Wampanoag Tribe of Aquinnah on Martha’s Vineyard.
- 8/21/08 Student Curators Highlight American Indian Cultural ‘Remix,’ Harvard Gazette. Native American Harvard students curate an exhibit of contemporary Native American artists exploring their identities as native peoples.
For archived news, please follow the links at left.
Daguerreotype of a Hindu man, Lorenzo Chase, c. 1850s.